Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Hometaker by Dean Wilson

YES! Another home run by the talented Dean Wilson. Yes, I may have gotten a free copy of this book in exchange for a review, but I am nothing if not honest, so if I was unhappy with this book, everyone would know. There isn't too much to disappoint me about the final book in the Great Iron War series, although there were a few moments where I wasn't sure how this review would end up sounding. Thankfully, my favorite characters survived, I can comfortably give Hometaker 4 out of 5 stars, and I can rest comfortably knowing that Dean Wilson now gets to move on to other novels and stories that are sure to please.


From the publisher:
The Resistance races against time to complete the missile-launcher known as the Hometaker, capable of opening a gateway to the land the Regime came from, and exposing the Iron Emperor for all the evils he has done.
Everything rests on the secrecy of the mission, but from day one tongues are wagging. The atmosphere is like dynamite. An overheard word could light the fuse. With no time left on the clock, General Rommond is forced to make an audacious plan: finish the construction of the Hometaker on the move, driving straight towards the enemy, who have assembled in unimaginable force.
The Great Iron War is coming to an end. It's all or nothing—their world or ours.

My thoughts:
Wow. Dean Wilson has a way of keeping his audience on its toes, never really knowing what's going to happen next, or just who will survive the next tragedy. Hometaker does not disappoint in this regard. This is a fast paced, swiftly changing story in which one never really knows what might happen. It has been amazing to watch Rommond grow as a character (obviously, my favorite character), from the first book in the series Hopebreaker, in which in retrospect he seemed flat and uninteresting. Wilson truly knows how to write his characters, while still keeping the story moving and the plot thickening. And my, does it thicken! Twists, turns, betrayals, and the final confrontation between the Resistance and the Iron Emperor, kept me reading this book late into the nights until I remembered that I'm an adult and need to get my sleep for work. I haven't decided yet if I'm pleased to have finished this series and seen a satisfying conclusion, or if I'm going to write the author asking for more stories about Rommond, Jacob, Whistler, and the rest of the Resistance fighters. There's already a standalone novel about Nox titled Coilhunter (which I'll be reviewing as well), but the world of Altadas seems full of additional stories and lives to be shared with Wilson's readers. I'm pretty stoked about this series, if you haven't been able to figure that out yet, and look forward to reading and reviewing more of Dean Wilson's stories in the future. Go check out the first book in this series (and read my review of it here), and let me (and Wilson) know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment